Drill has expanded to many countries since it originated in Chicago at the beginning of the 2010’s. In 2012, a lot of rappers who identified with the genre – influenced by road rap, garage and grime – emerged in London, especially in Brixton in South London.
While artists such as 67, Abra Cadabra, Headie One or Karma are seen as references on the scene today, female drillers often remain invisibilized and erased from it. And yet, many of them excel in the genre and are part of its history in the UK and elsewhere. To set the record straight, here are 10 female UK drillers you should definitely check out.
- Baby Eelz (London)
- Chanté Paris (East London)
- Cristale (Brixton, South London)
- Diana Drill (Nottingham)
- Juice Menace (Cardiff, Wales)
- Ivorian Doll (East London)
- Miss Lafamilia (Birmingham)
- Shaybo (South London)
- TeeZandos (Hackney, East London)
- Trillary Banks (Leicester)